Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Granada: The Alhambra (The Eighth Wonder of the World)

Saturday January 17th
This day began with the worst walk of my life…up a giant hill in the freezing cold before sunrise after drinking a bit too much wine the night before…But it was totally worth it! We got in line and got tickets to come back at 2pm and we all went back home and slept until 12. Emily, Becca, Shannon and I walked around a bit and found some food before heading to the Alhambra (some of us decided to take a bus this time…) This was the most intense bus ride of my life. The only thing I had to hold on to was a plastic flimsy handle that was made for a giant because I could barely reach it, and these buses whip around corners and stop and hit the gas so fast it feels like you’re on a rollercoaster. The bus was packed too so we were all running into each other and bouncing off each other, it was awful. We got there at the exact same time that the people that walked up the giant hill did, haha. My camera died the night before so I will be stealing everyone else’s pictures. I spent most of the day with Halle because we were both equally nerdy about needing to see everything and we bought the extra headset that tells you more about everything.

here is a link to learn more about The Alhambra...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhambra




Friday January 16th
I got up at 7:45, to meet everyone at the bus station at 8:30. Finished packing and threw on a tshirt and sweatpants. Nothing too exciting on the trip there, it was learning experience. We got tickets to Madrid for only 5 euro, it was really confusing once we got there because it was the wrong bus station so we had to get on the metro and take it to another bus station. And then we had to figure out where the bus was and people kept telling us different things, but it turned out that because we bought our tickets online we didn’t need an actual ticket we just had to show the bus driver and ID…confusing. I read and slept most of the way to Granada (5 hours…blah) We took another bus to the hostel once we got there…prime location (thanks to Kate and Kerry! Who orchestrated a lot of the trip) it was really close (relative term haha) to the Alhambra, which is like the thing to see in Granada and close to other places too. We found a super market and bought some ½ euro wine and stuff to make sandwiches and headed back to the hostel to get ready to go out. We met a really
nice group of guys this night that spoke some
English, one of which I’m going to be friends with when I move to New York City! Haha (Kelli you too! Hah) We didn’t last too late out (which in Spain 2am is early) we had to get up at 7:30am the next morning to get tickets to the Alhambra. Apparently they only sell a certain amount of tickets and this was the only way to guarantee that we would get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment