Monday, January 12, 2009

Speaking spanish without sleep is NOT easy

I tried to sleep a little on the bus ride from Madrid-Barajas airport, I was too tired to be nervous, and too tired to think. When we got off the bus we waited for the families to show up to claim us. My host mom was very nice, her and her husband picked me up in their car and tried to tell me about Toledo as we drove around and asked me a few questions, I didn't understand any of this...I was tooo tired. When we got to their home I chatted with them as much as I could and then I went to unpack. Lunch is the biggest meal here an we eat it around 2-2:30. This day she made a potato puree kind of soup (It was delicious!...like mashed potatoes but more soup like) and we also had fried chicken (I appreciated the American-esque comfort food). My host mom could tell I was tired when she would try to talk to me and I would just start at her...so she would laugh and said I should go take a nap. NO PROBLEM haha. I slept for awhile and then got up to get ready and meet at the University with everyone for a meeting. I live close enough to walk, which is nice...but it's a few very steep hills to get up to school. I was on Spanish overload when I got there so I was sooo excited to hear and speak English! We all talked about our families and how everything was going, it was pretty relaxed. Some people were really uncomfortable and unhappy with their families, so we talked about how to try to fix that. We decided that we needed to get cellphones that night because a lot of us didn't have internet and we wanted to be able to communicate and meet up to be able to talk. We wondered around after buying our phones and all tried to remember how we had gotten where we were in order to get home. It was very busy in Zocodover (the center of everything in the old city) there were lights everywere for Christmas and Reyes. (Reyes is a big holiday here, kind of like christmas but it's mostly for kids). Reyes was the day after we got there so we all decided to meet at the school later in the day to walk around and figure out where things were, because we would spent the day with our families. When I got home I had an omlette type thing that was reallyyy goood and a salad. I went to bed and in an attempt to recover from the previous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment