Tuesday January 13th
After working really hard on the reading for my fiction class we got to class this day and got assigned a TON of homework again. This wouldn’t have been such a big problem but there were mandatory activities planned for our group until 8pm this night and the next, so there was not much time to do it all. In my advanced composition and writing class (my favorite so far!) our professor, Maria introduced the movie we would be watching Wednesday night called “La Lengua de Las Mariposas” (The tongue of the butterflies). She gave us a brief review of the history of the time right before the Spanish Civil War which is when the movie takes place, which made the story a lot easier to understand. She also gave us a copy of the story that the movie was derived from.
Went home for lunch after class like usual and then came back up to the school at 5:30 for ML250 meeting (the 4th class we’re getting credit for here, which is pretty much being here, I think all study abroad programs get credit for this class) We just talked about how everything was going and some business type things and then went to meet our conversation partners (intercambios) I was really excited for this because I had heard really good things. This is a meeting we have once a week with people in the area who are working on their English; we speak in Spanish for a half hour and then in English for the other half. I ended up in a group with a few of the girls I’m here with and three women who work in Toledo, they were all around 25. They were really nice and I’m excited to meet with them again. It’s nice to have someone on a similar page with you but in the opposite language so you understand how the other feels and can help them. One of the funniest parts was when we were speaking in English was that Jaclyn (one of the girls in my group) asked a question and said “you guys” and our Spanish partners looked SO confused and we didn’t get why until Carly (one of the other girls in my group) starting laughing and pointed out that she had said “guys” and for someone that doesn’t know that does just mean men that would be confusing. It’s things like this that make me realize how difficult it is for people to learn English and makes me want to work harder on my Spanish. I went to the library again after this to work on homework, but had to go home at 8:30 for dinner. It’s really hard to get my homework done because I don’t have internet at home and it’s not possible for me to get all my homework done at school.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment